I hear this question more often than not, and I can’t totally blame people for not wanting to spend $$$ for pictures that they seemingly can quickly snap using their phones! It’s true that, thanks to today’s digital age and camera capabilities on our smartphones, that more and more people are turning to DIY photography. However, professional photography, like newborn photography, is entirely different than any kind you’re able to take on your smartphone! Newborn photography is a special type of craft that takes years of training and practice to be competent at. It absolutely should not be DIY!
Running a professional, full-service studio is not the same as being a hobbyist for photography. There are costs associated with running any business that most people dismiss when it comes to photography. I’m going to use a doctor and accountant as an example. They come are two completely different businesses, yet both have had extensive training and years of education to skillfully execute and resolve your issue. The costs associated with them are similar to the costs associated with a professional newborn photographer.
- Equipment such as lights, cameras, and lenses.
- Rent, utilities especially heat to soothe your baby to sleep
- Props such as backdrops, headbands, hats, baskets
- Continued education to ensure clients are receiving to absolute best portraits
- Advertising and marketing
In addition, a considerable amount of time is dedicated to your newborn photography behind the scenes that you do not get to see! The session itself, which takes three hours on average, is one of the smallest parts of what a professional newborn photographer has to spend time on. A large amount of time is dedicated to these areas as well:
* The design of each set up that you will see in the photographs
* Thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting the studio before each and every baby
* Washing of wraps, blankets and layers from the session
* Careful backup of all images
* Hours and hours of post-processing to ensure the perfect final portrait
* Sneak peeks on social media from your session
Bottom line: Photography is an investment that you will cherish more and more overtime. As your baby grows to a child, teenager and into adulthood, your newborn photography will bring you back to where it all began! Hiring a professional to capture moments like these are worth every penny because once the time is gone, it’s gone! Newborn photography needs to be captured when your baby is two weeks old or younger. Chances are, if you attempt DIY newborn photos and are unhappy with the outcome, you won’t have enough time to then hire a professional.. Imagine how you would feel if you missed out on documenting your beginning to forever!